Making agriculture resilient for climate change: Water scarcity, an opportunity for action and collaboration Praia, Cabo Verde, West Africa, 7-10 February 2023
Following its launch during the UNFCCC’s COP 21 in Marrakech Morocco in November 2016, the Global Framework on Water Scarcity in Agriculture (WASAG) has steadily received recognition and mandate to support countries in finding solutions to cope with climate change in agriculture in the face of climate change.
In April 2017, a meeting of Partners agreed to establish a WASAG partnership to be hosted by FAO to advance the mandate of the Framework.
Emerging from its foundational years, WASAG held its first international forum with the theme Leaving no one behind from 19 to 22 March 2019 in Praia, Cabo Verde, where the partners – under the leadership of the six WASAG working groups – developed and adopted the Praia Commitments.
With the contribution of its 70 partners, WASAG has since developed its strategy for 2021-2024. WASAG is set to further play a greater role in developing collaborative actions as solutions to the increasing challenges posed by climate change and the resulting water scarcity, in order to make agriculture more resilient. The second WASAG international forum, which is again hosted by the Government of Cabo Verde provides the setting for this step.
Objectives of the forum:
- To mobilize political commitment to accelerate strategic actions, including policies and investments for addressing water scarcity in agriculture
- To formulate messages that will raise the profile of water scarcity in agriculture in the climate change dialogues at the forthcoming at the UN Water Conference in March 2023 and UNFCCC COP 28 in November 2023
- To discuss ways of making the partnership more effective and impactful for the implementation of the new WASAG Strategy 2021-2024 and involving all Partners
- To share relevant knowledge and information on key issues and to network and to foster collaboration among partners
- To showcase latest technologies, practices and products in agriculture (through the fair)
Desired outcomes from the forum
The forum will aim to promote and position agriculture at the core of climate change discussions in view of the forthcoming events and beyond:
- UN Water conference (New York, 22-24 March 2023) – Comprehensive mid-term review of the implementation of the Objectives of the International Decade for Action, 'Water for Sustainable Development', 2018-2028.
- UNFCCC COP 28 (United Arab Emirates, 6-17 November 2023) – Climate Change
The forum will also aim to define the actions and review the modus operandi of WASAG in order to accelerate the delivery of the Framework and its Partnership on its mandate.