General Cooking workshop with quinoa at festILVO
Quinoa, one of the crops of the SALAD project, is becoming more popular in Flanders, Belgium and that's good news, because the crop contains a lot of good things for our bodies. But how do you use it in tasty dishes? During festILVO*, SALAD researchers Louis Thiers and Diana Estrella demonstrated how to cook with quinoa while informing the audience with scientific information about the crop. Discover the quinoa recipes below.
*A food and science festival organised for the 90th birthday of ILVO - Flanders Research Institute for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food.
Recipe chicken teriyaki with quinoa
Teriyaki is a Japanese dish where you fry or grill (yaki) pieces of fish , chicken or other meat in a marinade of sweet soy sauce, giving them a shine (teri). You can add other ingredients such as orange juice or ginger to the marinade. You can also experiment with other vegetables.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- Chicken breast – 600 g
- Quinoa – 200 g
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Onion – 1 bulb
- Soy sauce – 200 ml
- Honey – 200 g
- Red bell peppers – 3
- Broccoli – 500 g
- Salt & pepper
- Cooking oil
- Cube the chicken breasts. Remove stems and seeds from the bell peppers and cut into fine strips. Peel garlic and onion, and chop finely.
- Cook, boil or steam the broccoli until tender. Cook quinoa according to packet instructions.
- Add cooking oil to a large wok pan on semi-high heat and bake the chicken cubes until nearly done. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lower heat and add chopped garlic and onion.
- Add bell peppers, soy sauce and honey and stir. Reduce the sauce, then cover the pan until the peppers are tender.
- Remove pan from heat, add quinoa and broccoli. Toss well to mix all ingredients.
Serve in small bowls and garnish with chopped spring onion or sesame seeds.
Leftovers can be kept refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Based on a recipe by Camille Bergerson (for Tasty.com).
Adapted for quinoa by Louis Thiers (for ILVO & SALAD).
Quinoa Horchata with soy milk
Did you know that you could not only eat quinoa but also make delicious fermented or non-fermented drinks (and even beer with quinoa)? Discover this delicious horchata (a milk and rice-based drink originally from Valencia) with quinoa here.
Ingredients (6 servings):
- 1lt soy milk
- 1/2 kg dry white quinoa
- 100 ml honey
- Cinnamon powder
- Pure vainilla extract
- Ice cubes
- Mix the quinoa with water until you get a milky solution (+/- 1 min)
- Let the mixture stand for 4 hours at room temperature (or store in the fridge).
- Strain the mixture with a colander. Do not throw away what remains in the colander, but use it for other recipes.
- Add the soy drink to the liquid.
- Mix in the honey, vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- Cool and mix just before serving.
Tip: a slightly different flavour can be obtained by adding e.g. coconut flakes or ground almonds